Most Viewed Stories
Volunteer Fire Department, library celebrate anniversaries
The Orland Volunteer Fire Department and Orland Free Library each celebrated their 100th anniversaries in 2011.
Fire department festivities included a parade in March along with the annual Fireman's Ball at the Glenn County Fairgrounds.
City Council members honored the department as well with a proclamation at a March council meeting.
Then Vice Mayor Wade Elliott noted a devastating fire to Orland's Fourth Street business distinct led to the department's formation a century ago.
Its first Chief in 1911 was Phil Noerager, he read and it had 22 charter members.
Today, the department has 45 members who volunteer their time to protect lives and property of Orland citizens.
March 19th was declared the Orland Volunteer Fire Department's Centennial Celebration Day.
As for the library, it observed its celebration in February with a week of activities and a day of celebration.
It began as a women's reading room and has evolved into a public library with computers and children's programs.
The Orland Women's Improvement Club formed March 10, 1909, to promote community projects, and it started the reading room in February of 1911.
Miss Valerie Magnenat handed out books on Saturday mornings with users paying $1 a year to borrow books from Orland's first lending library, according to research done by Orland historian Gene Russell.
The city's Carnegie Library was built with funding from the Carnegie Foundation in 1918 and 1919.
It was done in Classic Revival style designed by W.H. Weeks and built by O.M. Bullock and Hazelton Lumber Company, Russell said, in February.
Now called the Carnegie Center, the old brick building serves as the City Council Chambers with a newer library building behind it in Library Park.
Contact Rick Longley at 934-6800 or email@example.com.